The Center for Great Apes celebrates a significant milestone in 2023 as it observes its 30th anniversary. To mark the occasion, the Center for Great Apes will be hosting a series of educational programs, fundraising activities, and art exhibits featuring portraits of and paintings by several of the great apes living at the sanctuary throughout October to December at Miami-based businesses including Books & Books, Tripping Animals Brewing Co., the Wirtz Gallery at the First National Bank of South Miami and Ghee Indian Kitchen. The art is available for purchase and proceeds benefit the Center for Great Apes.
Art Exhibits and Receptions
- October 6, 2023: 7 p.m. – 10 p.m. at Books & Books in Coral Gables
- November 10, 2023: 5 p.m. – 9 p.m. at Tripping Animals Brewing Co. in Doral
- December 7, 2023: 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. at Wirtz Gallery at First National Bank in South Miami
- October 20, 2023: 6 p.m. – 9 p.m. at Ghee Indian Kitchen. The fundraising dinner will feature a tasting menu of more than 16 dishes served family style. Cost is $65 per person with a minimum of two participants, and 100 percent of the proceeds will be donated to the Center for Great Apes. Book your reservation on OpenTable with Ghee Indian Kitchen.
Special Craft Beer Series
To commemorate the 30th anniversary of the Center for Great Apes, Miami-based brewery, Tripping Animals Brewing Co., has created three custom brews featuring artistically designed labels. The one-of-a-kind labels, created by Venezuelan artist David Leon, showcase paintings created by the great apes living at the sanctuary, including chimpanzee Bubbles, once kept as a pet by “King of Pop” Michael Jackson. A new beer will launch each month starting with the Jacob Sour Ale in October, the Keagan Lager in November, and the Bubbles IPA in December. Each of the beers will be served at the events as well as being available for retail purchase in more than 20 states nationwide. Bars, retailers, and restaurants wanting to offer the beers to customers can contact Sunshine State Distribution.
Membership Day at CGA
- December 9, 2023: Members-only tour of the sanctuary in Wauchula, FL. Member Day is for all membership levels $75 and up. Member days do have limited capacity and fill quickly. Be sure to become a member before November and look for the email with registration for member day. Great Ape Hero level ($350) may schedule a private tour in addition to Member Day. For more information on membership, visit centerforgreatapes.org/membership.